Monday, December 30, 2013

American Hustle Music Steely Dan - Dirty Work

Funny how a song can just send you there, yup back in time like a time machine.  For me it was watching American Hustle, a film based in the 1970's when I was living in Spain as a young girl and attending a private English School called Bellver College. Spain was under Franco's dictatorship, so things were actually very safe and my sister and I have amazing memories from this time as well as many other great school friends who remarkably we are still in touch with via Facebook after many years.

So when I was in the cinema last week  watching American Hustle I was transported back to Mallorca early 1970's and hearing Steely Dan's Can't Buy A Thrill Belting out from the record stores and I still recall the first time I heard it.  There was some kind of shift in my world, as happens only with amazing music, that really moves you.  To my young 10 year old head I was startled and knew that I just had to have that song...think I may have bought the 45 of "Do It Again," but the entire album seems to me to be what I got.  We bought a turn table at a bazaar, and our lives were changed as prior to that all we had was a reel to reel with Cat Stevens Teaser and the Firecat.   I recall that when my Uncle Al and his buddy Rob came to visit, he bought me Paul McCartney and Wings Band on the Run - and Get Your Yayas out by the Stones for my sister. Wow, sure changed our world!

But here is to Steely Dan and Can't Buy a Thrill ..............awesome, thanks American Hustle for stirring up the memories!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALs1ObqeB7o

No comments: